In 1913, Pinellas Park firefighters, along with citizens in the community, banded together to build the first fire hall for Engine Company #1. The new building was constructed near the railroad station and was manned by a group of eager volunteers and a single horse drawn, two wheeled pumper.
By 1925 the population of Pinellas Park had grown to 2,000 people. The Fire Department purchased its first real fire engine, a 1925 American LaFrance pumper, which became known as Engine #1. This classic piece of fire apparatus served for many years as a front line engine. Today, the City proudly displays it in parades and special ceremonial occasions.
During the 1930's era of the depression, the fire department nearly ceased to exist. No new equipment was purchased and Pinellas Park was basically without fire protection. In 1943, the fire department was revitalized and a regular volunteer fire association was established.
Growth continued in Pinellas Park during the fifties and sixties. By 1958, the fire department had grown to a force of 34 volunteer firefighters, six trucks, three brush trucks, two pumpers and a panel truck used for rescue and emergency calls. That same year, Pinellas Park Fire Department hired its first full time paid firefighters and named Aaron Harrison as its first full time paid Fire Chief.
The department gradually evolved over the years, eventually disbanding the volunteer force and creating a full time paid force in 1985. The eighties and nineties saw tremendous growth with new construction, equipment purchases, and annexation of surrounding areas. Changes in service followed with the addition of paramedics, hazardous materials response, public education, fire investigation and other special divisions.
Today, the Pinellas Park Fire Department services approximately 63,000 people in our fire district of over 26 square miles. Presently the department employs 81 full time firefighters and 21 administrative personnel.