City of Pinellas Park
Barbara S. Ponce Public Library
Library Policy Governing the Use of Library Grounds
(Click here for pdf version.)
The City of Pinellas Park recognizes that the public may wish to use the Library grounds for various purposes. This wish must be balanced with the needs of the City and the users of the Library. Thus, the Library is considered to be a limited public forum subject to certain time, place and manner restrictions. Any individual or group wishing to use the Library grounds by speaking or distributing petitions, surveys, or other written information of a public, noncommercial, or religious nature may do so under the conditions set forth below.
Note: This policy pertains to the use of Library grounds and not inside use of the Library building. Those wishing to reserve a designated meeting space inside the library should refer to the library’s Meeting Room Policy. All users are expected to also conform with the library’s general rules.
1. All activities covered by this policy must:
a. be approved in advance by the Library Director or designee;
b. be carried out during the Library’s regular hours of service;
c. occur out of the path of foot and vehicular traffic from all directions; and
d. be conducted in an area designated by the Library and in a manner that ensures that Library users will have unobstructed ingress and egress from the building.
2. Person(s) conducting activities covered by this policy must comply with all requests of Library staff and shall not:
a. harass or intimidate others;
b. touch or handle any individual in any manner;
c. block, hinder or impede travel to or from the Library or any entrance or exit;
d. set up any type of furniture or signage that exceeds a surface area of 3 x 6 feet or use more than 2 chairs in the allotted area;
e. disrupt the orderly operation of the Library (this provision includes, but shall not be limited to, raised voices); and
f. violate any law of the United States, the State of Florida or any ordinance of the City of Pinellas Park
3. Due to limited space and demand by other groups/individuals for its use, permission will be granted on a first come first serve basis for any eligible group, and the Library reserves the right to:
a. limit participation to a single group/individual during any given time period
b. limit the size of the group
c. limit the number of times a group/individual may conduct such activities
d. limit the duration of each such activity.
4. Materials should not be taped, nailed, or otherwise attached to Library property and should not be left unattended. Users must also avoid damaging the library’s irrigation system or landscaping material. All materials and trash must be removed from Library grounds by the end of any allotted time slot.
5. No public address, voice enhancement, light display or other electronic devices may be used on Library grounds.
6. Those who fail to comply with the terms of this policy may be asked to leave Library grounds and may be denied subsequent permission to use space on Library grounds for similar purposes.
Commercial advertising, vending, selling or soliciting of any type, as well as any other commercial or for-profit activities, are strictly prohibited on Library grounds.
Adopted November 20, 2014