Davis Field Complex
F. A. Davis began a Delaware land development company called the Florida Association. Mr. Davis came to Pinellas in 1890 and "saw the picture" in such color and perspective. He bought 12,800 acres of land on the Pinellas Peninsula, which was then called West Hillsborough County later known as Pinellas County in 1913.
In 1909 or 1910 Mr. Davis and a group of developers sent P.J. McDevitt to Florida to establish a town near the City of St. Petersburg for the purpose of growing cane sugar. The peninsula remained a part of Hillsborough County until 1913, but reference in testimonials referred to Pinellas Farms or the Pinellas Peninsula. Model Farm No. 1 (there would be two others) became the showplace for visitors or potential colonists.
Mr. Davis also built the Colony House, at a point where 60th Street crosses Park Boulevard. This two story structure housed affluent visitors who might wish to make investments, served meals and even offered space for social gatherings. From the Colony House windows one could view a model farm and rows of tents on Pittsburgh Avenue where people camped until their modest homes were completed.
DAVIS FIELD COMPLEX (20.01 acre park with 3 entrances)
6050 76th Avenue North 7651 60th Street North 7671 61st Street North